DUTCH OVEN BREAD (give yourself 10-12 hours for this delicious crusty bread)
I PROMISE ITS SO WORTH IT!!!
3 cups Flour
1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Instant Yeast
1 1/2 cup room temperature Water
Instructions – (NO KNEADING)
1. Dough Prep: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and yeast together until mixed. Mix yeast and water in a separate bowl. Stir in the water/yeast mixture until a chunky, think dough forms. If it needs more water, add a tablespoon at a time. It will not look smooth. But, a little chunky. That’s what you want. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for 10-12 hours at room temp. I make mine first thing in the morning before I head out to take care of the animals.
2. Prep for Baking: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. (I use my Cast Iron Lodge Dutch Oven) Put your Dutch Oven in right away for 30 minutes to heat. At this point the dough should have risen up to the top of your mixing bowl with bubbles in the dough. Remove from the mixing bowl onto a well-floured surface. Gently shape into a ball with flour on the outside. NO KNEADING! Set on a piece of parchment, and cover with plastic while your Dutch Oven is warming up.
3. Bake: Remove the plastic from the dough. Lift the dough with parchment together into the Dutch Oven so the parchment lines the bottom of it. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove parchment after your bread has completely cooled.
DID I SAY NO KNEADING? NO KNEADING!
SAUSAGE LENTIL SOUP
12 ounces skinless Beef Smoked Sausage
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion
4 Carrots sliced
2 Celery stalks sliced
2 teaspoons dried Basil
2 teaspoons dried Oregano
1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
1 Bay Leaf
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 cups dried Lentils
1 28 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
6 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add Sausage and cook until brown. Remove sausage and set aside. Keep grease from the sausage in your Dutch Oven.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add olive oil, onions, carrots, celery and carrots. Cook about 5 minutes. Until onions are soft. Add basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook another minute. Add Garlic and cook another minute.
3. Add lentils, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and bay leaf. Stir well to combine. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, until lentils are soft.
4. When lentils are soft, stir in sausage and Parmesan cheese. Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and serve with your Dutch Oven Bread!